Fancy Hat Cupcakes

So I made these for a high tea baby shower. My sister's actually. Let me tell you these do not take a few minutes. They took me two weeks. I only worked in the evening on them so let's say a week or a long weekend :) they are quite easy to make once you get the hang of them and a heap load of fun in terms of designing your own little styles.
This is the finished product.

 To start I used a Victoria sponge cake. It's a seriously expensive one to choose but seriously gosh darn delicious.
So you can choose nice cupcake cups or just use a muffin tray. It doesn't make a difference. Also don't fill these dudes too much. I did and got some seriously massive mini cakes if you will. But the hats were quite large so it worked out nicely.
So here we have the cupcakes covered in blue fondant. Now different countries have different names for icings or 'frosting'... basically this is a glaze type icing not an icing you can make animals and flowers with. I died it blue because the baby is a boy. It took me a while to figure out how I was going to hoist the hats on the cupcakes so you could see the entire shape... The result... marshmallows dusted with bronze and gold powder coulouring.  (Please excuse the macaroons in the background. Shit got crazy when we were preparing.

So now here are the little hats one by one so you can see them properly. To make them simply roll plastic icing between your palms and you will get an almost egg shape. Make this egg into a dome and roll out from the top of the dome. Use a glass or a cutter to get a nice round shape. Mould over mince pie tart cases and allow to dry. The hats on the plastic are on mince pie cases.


For the feathers I used a Holly cutter and got scratching with a decoupage tool.
The bows and bands are Just thinly cut strips of plastic icing glued with sugar glue.
Plait bands or use a pallet knife and score the icing so to speak. 
These hats were plain white painted with colouring
Edible pearls stuck on with sugar icing
The Roses are thin bands rolled into a sausage
The ballies are flower stamen dipped in glue and then into powdered colouring.
Polly Anna vibes
Again I used the Holly cutter
Simple chic

 I used a blossom cutter and a boning tool for the flowers
                              

 Cowboys... because everyone loves a daisy Duke vibe.






 This is for the safari peeps. They see me rolling...
This is my favourite.


And there you have it. Happy hat making folks.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mottled Moose with Antlers

Salted Caramel Popcorn: quite simply...bloody delicious!

Kidney Bean Chocolate Cake